List of problems endemic to social media
This is a brief list of problems endemic to social media sites as they currently exist, with links for pages of further discussion of each topic.
- Social media addiction: People get addicted to social media sites even if they find the overall experience negative.
- FOMO: Fear Of Missing Out, one of the things that keeps people addicted.
- Reduction of attention span: People report that they are unable to read books after prolonged use of the Internet.
- Pile-ons and brigading: Bad actors organizing harassment campaigns.
- Trolls: Bad actors carrying out solo harassment.
- Advertisers: Specific problems with advertising include:
- Extremists: Social networks are a vital recruiting tool for neo-Nazis and other terrorist groups.
- Propaganda: Politically slanted non-factual content intended to cause political shifts or simply chaos.
- Bots: Automated systems pretending to be human, either for purposes in this list, or for simple amusement.
- Privacy invasion: Aside from surveillance capitalism, social media can also be used for individual privacy invasion, including:
- Government censorship: Imposed filtering of social interaction by nation states, such as is carried out by China.
- Corporate censorship: Imposed filtering of social interaction by corporations, including:
- Malware: Distribution of computer software with evil intent.
- Apathy: The meta-problem. 90% of users don't care enough about the above problems to switch to better systems.