When things get put online and perused by thousands if not millions of people, you have to consider national and international laws and regulations:
- child protection
- liability issues
- privacy regulations
- DMCA and similar copyright protection laws
- defamation and libel issues
- some countries have laws and regulations concerning hate speech
This is confounded by the fact that there are different potentially responsible parties
- the site owner
- easily identified within a closed system like Facebook
- less easily for federated systems (if I post something on my pod and it gets federated - who has to deal with a DMCA takedown notice?)
- the individual user
- can they be anonymous?
- if not, where does the responsibility shift to?
- or is it, in the case of a federated system, the application developer? (probably not, but who knows?)